What happens when life doesn’t go your way, and a problem arises, cutting off access to your health insurance? Situations like divorce or job loss can impact loss of health care coverage. It happens more often that than you think. But you have options! Here’s what you can do to keep health care coverage….
If you lose health care insurance, but it is not the open enrollment time period, you still have options to get insurance. You can get coverage under a qualifying event. Under a qualifying event, you have 60 days to make a change for health care coverage.
Here are things that make a qualifying event that would allow you to take advantage of a health insurance plan, without it being open enrollment:
- If you get Marriage, Divorced or Separated
- If you have recently had a Job loss
- If you have had a baby, adopted, or added foster children.
- A move into a new residence, or change of zip code.
- A birthday that causes you to “age out” of your parents policy (over 26 years old)
If you want to try to get coverage outside of open enrollment, you need to meet the requirements listed above.
Listed below are here are a few things that will NOT be considered as a Qualifying Event…
- If you lose coverage because you stopped paying for your policy, this does not count as a qualifying event.
- If you get divorced or separated, and your policy remains unchanged, or if legal documents state that it doesn’t affect your health insurance.
- If you move on a temporary basis, just to get medical treatment, or to try to qualify.
- If you sign up for COBRA to keep your employers insurance, but it ended for non-payment.
If you need health care coverage, call Amy Kelley, the Insurance Nana to help you. Understanding health insurance plans can be tricky, but the Insurance Nana can help you! Amy Kelley can help find you an affordable health insurance policy, or help you find a temporary policy. There are so many options in health insurance, and the Insurance Nana can help you find them. Call her today! 770-527-5598. https://insurancenana.com/